Special STARS hosted its annual Christmas Party on Dec. 15 at the Highlands County Agri-Civic Center with more than 250 athletes, caregivers, volunteers and family members attending. Athletes came from Highlands, Hardee, Okeechobee and southern Polk counties. The Singha family once again hosted the event and served a lunch prepared by Outback Steakhouse to all the guests. Door prizes were given away and 12 lucky winners won cash prizes. One athlete even won an entire Christmas tree with decorations. Santa made an appearance and presented shadow boxes made by Bobby and Michael Paradise. Bagwell Lumber also assisted with the construction of these boxes which can be used by the athletes to display their medals and ribbons. Each gift was valued at $75. Rick Arnold played music for dancing.
Special STARS athletes enjoyed playing volleyball with South Florida State College Volleyball Team on Nov. 10 at SFSC gym in Avon Park.
The volleyball team taught some basic skill techniques to the athletes and then played a couple games with them.
More importantly, it was about building friendships and everyone enjoyed posing in pictures with their favorite volleyball player.
Thanks Coach Kim Crawford and SFSC Volleyball team for spending the day with Special STARS
Are you creative? Do you like throwing parties and being part of the community? Then Ridge Area Arc’s Development Director Position is for you. Below is a list of a few of the job duties.
- Insure that the agency newsletter, web-site, and face book page are positive representations of the Arc.
- Represent Arc through speaking engagements, personal facility tours and involvement in the business community.
- Maintain an organized marketing campaign for the agency including continual update of promotional materials including brochures, power point presentations and any other relevant material.
- Maintain a positive relationship with the media.
- Guarantee that contributors are thanked for their support.
- Cultivate prospective contributors through personal visits, telephone, written communication email, face book and web-site.
- Insure that the yearly budgeted net amount for the development department is secured.
- Create and implement fund raising events throughout the year.
- Appeal to corporations, private foundations, County Commissioners, and individuals.
- Identify and write grants for the Ridge Area Arc.
Give Kathleen Border a call if you are interested and have marketing experience, 863-452-1295, ext. 112.